Friday, April 25, 2008

The Human Predicament of Sin

A few weeks ago I came across a book detailing the mechanical feat of Stone Hedge. I pondered how humans built Stone Hedge. Obviously it required a host of strong men. I wondered if some died trying to erect those mammoth rocks.

This week my husband and I utilized the same principal as at Stone Hedge in raising up a tree in our backyard. During the winter heavy snow had forced its trunk to lean down near the ground. We could not leave it in that awkward position, especially since the tree now lay over our walkway.

Together we tugged on a thick rope encircling the trunk to force the tree upward. As we slowly lifted the tree up, I moved a container of very heavy rocks closer to the base of the trunk on the opposite side. In a short time the tree stood tall once again. Then my husband tied the rope to a chain link fence.

God does the same thing for us. We have been thrown down and burdened with a load of sin. Everyone is born with the sin nature. It does not take long before we act on it and deliberately disobey God. Have you cast yourself on God’s mercy? Do you realize your need of salvation? “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up” (James 4:10). Jesus is the only answer to the human predicament of sin.

www.tale2k.com

No comments: