Friday, June 27, 2008

Write! Canada

Every June Canadian authors and editors who are Christian gather together at Guelph Conference grounds in Ontario for three days of companionship and learning. This was my second year, and it was fantastic. The organizers always make sure there are classes and workshops, which will interest everyone from aspiring writers to those who are career-oriented. Since I have written a book, I signed up for all of the marketing courses.

Teresa Evenson taught five sessions on preparing a pitch for the media. I learned how important it is to be prepared. Most of all I learned to be vulnerable and share my feelings, what I am passionate about and why. It’s about presenting who I am, not trying to sell the book.

The workshop on Speed Networking and Professional Pitch Practice with Wendy Nelles and Sandra Reimer complemented Teresa’s class. In it I learned to ask questions and find out what kind of book people are interested in first. If they like my kind of writing, then pitch away. I recommend this conference to anyone who wants to connect with other writers and editors who are Christian, especially if you are eager to improve your writing skills.

www.tale2k.com

No comments: