Thursday, January 17, 2008

Burdened with Cares

A semi-circle of evergreen trees provides privacy for my patio. Until recently, they stood tall and straight. This winter we have received so much snow that they are heavy laden and bent toward the ground. One tree looks like a low-lying arch over the narrow path, which leads to the patio. I am wondering if I will be able to navigate my way past it next summer.

As I look at those trees, bent because of a thick layer of snow, I think of myself. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matt. 11:28—30, NIV).

Most sermons I have heard on these verses emphasize a salvation message. Jesus is waiting for sinners to repent and lay their burdens at his feet. This is quite true. However, I am thinking how easy it is for believers to carry unnecessary burdens also. Am I trusting God each day to accomplish his will for my life? Am I too busy doing something else? It may be good, but is it what God wants me to do? It is very easy for believers to become bogged down doing worthwhile things for Jesus and yet miss out on what he wants us to do.

“Lord, please encourage me to keep doing what you want me to do. You have promised me rest and peace, if I am in your will. I pray for discernment to tell the difference between busyness and useful service.”

www.tale2k.com

No comments: